Cutting your own hair is a good idea for you to keep your hairstyle and save your time and money. But you must pay enough attention to your hair cutting skills before you step to cut your own hair at home. Otherwise, you are running a risk of making blunders and keeping yourself indoors for couple of days!
In the following, you will learn how to cut your own hair like a pro from the pictures and detail illustration steps. Before you go ahead, you should be aware that practices make professional. So, keep in mind that you will get the hang of self-help hair cutting after 3 or 4 times practice.
Okay, for man, self-help hair cut is very easy. You just need a set of proper tools, and then you can do it yourself.
List of tools you may need:
- Two mirrors if available
- a pair of scissors
- a kit of electric clipper
Here is the tool I recommend (actually, I use it to cut my own hair)
This kit includes electric clipper, professional scissor, comb, mirror, and a set of comb guides. The comb guides kit includes : eight different guides ranging in size from 1/8" to 1", which can help you control the hair length, and the left and right ear taper.
Following pictures show self-help hair cutting schedule
Detail steps to cut your own hair (Please read accordingly to the above figure)
1. Before you start, you should point out the cutting length you wish.
2. Setup your barber system. I recommend you perform this in the bathroom, with a mirror in front of you and another in back of you so you can see your whole head.
3. Divide your head into three cutting zones: a) the lower part of the head (running from the bottom of the hair line to the top of the ear); b) the middle part of the head (running from the top of the ear to the top of the head); and c) the top of the head.
4. You should use the comb guide from the largest to the one meets the requirement. Choose a larger guide comb than the desired maximum cutting length, because it would not remove your hair too much with the larger guide comb. Put it on the trimmer.
5. Start to trim the whole head hair use the proper one (satisfy your maximum length).
6. Then decrease the guide length by one size for the lower and middle zone. Trim hair from bottom to the top edge.
7. For the lower zone, you can use a one size smaller comb guide to cut this zone's hair. But you should not put the trimmer tightly against to the head. Increase the distance to the head when the trimmer getting close to the middle zone. It can help the hair length change smoothly and make the hairstyle looks naturally.
8. Use the left and right ear guide to cut the hair around your ear.
9. Clean your side and neck hair.
10. Take a shower when you feel satisfied.
Above are detail steps about how to cut your own hair. It’s just a starting guidance for you to begin your self help cutting experience.
However, if you want to know how to cut your own hair in different hair styles,I recommend you move on to How To Cut Hair – For Beginners or Beginners' Guidance to Cutting Hair course. Either of them can teach you hair cutting techniques from basic steps to advanced and more challenging hairstyles. As you become more professional and get more comfortable on your hair cutting experience, you must be step to more complicated hair styles.
Overall, you must remember being self hairstylist is not just about cutting the hair, but more importantly, updating yourself hair styles.