Cutting your own hair is a good idea for you to styling yourself, along with save time and money. So learn how to cut your own hair here and make yourself exactly like what you wish, mostly, enjoy the life of “My style, My way”!
First of all, you should be aware that simple styles are best for the beginner of home-hair cutting. For ladies’ long hair, the easiest cut will be one length everywhere (Actually, this article is for such beginners ^^).
Okay, before you go ahead you must be aware that practices make professional. You can do it!
Comb; sharp scissor; clip; mirror; spray bottle if available.
Note: make sure your tools should be professional even if your technique is not like a pro at the first beginning, such as the scissors are nice and sharp to cut your hair.
Detail steps to cut your own hair:
1. Before you start, you should point out what hairstyle you want, including layer and length.
2. Setup your barber system. I recommend you perform this in the bathroom, with a mirror in front of you and another in back of you so you can see your whole head.
3. Wash your hair with a soft shampoo, towel it and comb it as straight as possible.
4. Comb your hair from the crown evenly to the around. You should make sure it begins at the center, not only the very top position of the head. Check the alignment in the front and back mirror.
5. Trim your hair to the maximum length you want. Keep the hairs back behind but vertically to your middle and index fingers, and then cut underneath your fingers. Begin from one side and cut evenly. You should cut them with about half inch increment from the dead end.
6. Trim the bangs. Grasp and twist it once to twice (length you wish). Then cut the hairs along the eyebrow line (a little bit below). Make some little cuts to get a soft and wispy bang.
7. Cut around your face. Slide your index and middle fingers straightly (not an angle) to the position you want to cut. Cut vertically across the hair along your fingers to the ear. You can leave the hair a little longer and then cut once more to make sure it looks like what your wish.
8. Repeat step 6 on the other side.
9. Then cut the hair behind the ear. Trim the hair behind the ear until it’s too far for you to see from the front mirror. You should cut section by section for the both sides.
10. The hardest part is to cut the hair in the back. You must be patient in this part, as you need to inverse your motion due to the backwards direction in the mirrors. You just need to cut the hair to match and connect to the two side sections.
11. Pull your hair out and look in the front mirror to see if they are even. Trim if necessary.
12. Wash your hair when you feel satisfied.
Above are detail steps about how to cut your own hair. It’s just a starting guidance for you to begin your self help cutting experience.
However, if you want to know how to cut your own hair in different hair styles, such as short hair,
long hair, layer cut is also essential, I recommend you move on to How To Cut Hair – For Beginners or Curly Girl: The Handbook course, which is a few days matter. Either of them can teach you hair cutting techniques from basic steps to advanced and more challenging hairstyles. As you become more professional and get more comfortable on your hair cutting experience, you must be step to more complicated hair styles.
Overall, you must remember being self hairstylist is not just about cutting the hair, but more importantly, updating yourself hairstyles.